Thursday, July 22, 2010

Colourful Harvest

This is what I picked from the garden today.

I'm pleased to say that we have been eating salad with our homegrown lettuce, making zucchini bread with our own yellow zukes, and getting totally sick of green beans. Awesome. I'm in awe of my beets, chard, and kale for their productivity and hardiness. The green and purple beans have produced more beans than 3 families could possibly eat, and I'm not sure what I'll do with 40 giant beets...but these are nice problems to have.

The downside is that my expected glut of tomatoes may be smaller than I had hoped. Many of the tomatoes are rotting on the bottom as they ripen (known, I discovered, as blossom-end rot)...but after a bit of research I learned that I only need to add "hydrated lime" to the soil and the problem should disappear. I also had a drainage issue in one of my self watering containers that has a couple of plants teetering on the edge of survival. The soil blight (virus...?) at my "away" garden is spreading and is affecting some of the cucumbers and squash plants. I have no idea what to do about this, but I'm sure the solution is very labour intensive! I kind of hoped that once I planted my little seedlings I could just put my feet up until it was time to pick stuff, but alas, it doesn't quite work like that!

My big step for this week will be buying and beginning to use a composter. Since I live in a city that composts for us, I'm in the habit of just throwing all my food waste into the green bin. But I guess this gardening thing gets under your skin because I now looks at all my peelings and think "what a waste to not have this in the soil".

Anyway, hope everyone is able to eat some fresh, local food this month whether from the garden or the farmer's market.

3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Hilary!! There is nothing like eating fresh vegetables from your own garden! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary! I am so impressed! And also inspired... having hijacked my parents garden after talking to you... I think our harvest is a little behind yours, but I am so excited to see beautiful big green tomatoes, japanese eggplant, leeks and broccoli all growing before my eyes ... lets get together for a stir fry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! It is nice to go out and pick snacks from the garden. That said, our backyard looks like a total jungle right now...I never knew how massive zucchini leaves could get!
    Congrats on your harvest Allison--I'm very curious about the eggplants and leeks, we'll have to trade tips soon.

    ReplyDelete