Saturday, August 14, 2010

Green Tomato Salsa Verde


Bad news: Most of my tomato plants got some weird blight and are dying fast.
Good news: I found a great recipe for Salsa Verde to use up my giant bucket of green tomatoes. I didn't even have to peel them. Usually salsa verde is made with tomatillos, but this one is good enough for me.

My Bernardin Home Preserving Guide redeemed itself with this one. It uses lime juice instead of vinegar. Maybe canning is getting a bit more popular with the under 80 crowd after all.

Salsa Verde:
7 C chopped green tomatoes
5-10 chopped jalepeno peppers
2 C chopped red onion
1 head of garlic
1/2 C lime juice
1/2 C chopped cilantro
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano, salt, pepper

Wash and seed and chop tomatoes. Drain excess liquid. Put tomatoes in a pot, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 mins. Eat, or can. It makes about 6 250ml jars.

**(March 2011 update: Okay, so many months later, I can admit that this salsa is gross. Might as well soak your corn chips in lime juice and sprinkle with cumim. The hot-ness of the peppers disappeared over the months and it got bland and just plain ick.)**
argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment