Monday, September 27, 2010

Pioneer Retro




Our Tomato Stock 2010 canning party was hard work, but left us all with a sense of accomplishment and community. I rarely spend time doing "work" with friends, and now I see that it can be an effective way to socialize and accomplish things. If only my friends would want to come over for a cleaning party... Anyway, 5 of us women (and my husband) managed to can 81L of tomatoes. That was 5 bushels, or 265 lbs! We learned some lessons about how we could be more efficient next year (ie. get an outdoor burner, invest in a tomato mill rather than blanch, seed and peel), it did take us a collective 43 hours. My husband (nerd), did a humiliating analysis of the cost of this exercise and let's just say it didn't save us much money, but we're already booking a weekend for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment