Monday, February 14, 2011

Sweet Potato Chews


I bought dog food. I don't have a dog. I bought it for me, 'cause I thought it was yummy locally grown whole food. For humans.

My initial thought was "Sweet Potato Chews? What a good idea!". The label on the front attracted me with the promise that it was "made from the finest Ontario grown sweet potatoes" with "no additives, preservatives or colors". The ingredients were simple. Just sweet potatoes. Yeah, I could make it myself, but I thought I'd give it a try and see if it was even worth bothering. Last night, feeling snacky (as usual), I prepared to crack into my new treat. Luckily I happened to notice in the small print that there was "less than 4.67% ash". Ash? Why would there be ash in my food? As I read more carefully, I noticed "Feeding Instructions: Feed to your dog as a healthy treat". Then I got suspicious.

Let me just say, I didn't think dogs ate sweet potatoes. Aren't dogs carnivores? Are there vegetarian dogs now? Hmmm. Weird. I don't really know what to take away from this curious development, except that my consumer literacy might need a bit of work...and that soon I might be wrestling dogs in the park for their treats.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hillary, Our dog love carrots as did our past dog, they will eat most veggies, except celery. Then again our current dog is also fixated on eating cardboard at the moment.
    I'm sure hubby will love the treats. RayJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...learn something new every day! Yes, hubby loved the treats - mostly as a laugh at my expense!
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete