Saturday, May 22, 2010

Appliance Breakdown: The Mother of Invention



Our fridge kicked the bucket yesterday. The first sign was the curdling of 4 litres of ridiculously expensive organic milk. But it forced me to cook a meal using as many contents of the fridge as possible to prevent them from going rotten. What a surprise, it was our best veggie meal ever.

If you're looking for a stupidly quick, easy, and kick-ass vegetarian meal, try some variation of this:
  1. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, add some beans. The equivalent amount of about 1 can I guess (I used a mix of organic turtle and kidney beans which I had soaked and cooked the previous day)
  2. Add a whack of salsa. I used about a cup. (I've tried this with other salsas, but have got to say Garden Fresh - Jack's Medium was the best. I know it's at Loblaw's but not sure where else. I like hot stuff, but if you're sensitive to spice, you should definitely go with the Mild since the Medium has some kick)
  3. Throw in some chopped green pepper and a bit of extra tomato (especially if you're trying to clean out your fridge!)
  4. Cook it all for 5-10 mins. While it's cooking mash up an avocado (I just added in a bit more salsa to it for pretty much instant guacamole)
  5. (Optional- slater tortillas with some cream cheese. Really, I probably would skip this step if my fridge wasn't broken, but it was extra tasty this way)
  6. Put a scoop of the bean mixture, a scoop of guacamole, and some shredded cheddar into the tortilla.
  7. Eat the big sloppy mess, grinning the whole time!
Next step, learn to make homemade salsa that exactly replicates Jack's medium, OR find the equivalent organic salsa.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment