Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ode to Smoothies


Who doesn't love a good smoothie? I have a seasonal addiction that requires me to consume some sort of blender drink pretty much every day in spring and summer. I admit, some days it ends up being Kaluha, milk, and ice...but other days it's a touch more granola-ish than that.

I find my kids get excited for about the first two weeks of the smoothie season and then lose steam. However, I've found the cure to sustain smoothie enthusiasm. Popsicle molds. Feels like junk food, but isn't. Even better, I've started sneaking in veggies too - and they still beg for them.

While I think a recipe for smoothies is about as necessary as a recipe for a glass of water (my apologies to recipe hounds), here's a sample:

a banana
some strawberries (when organic ones go on sale, I stock up like a mad woman and freeze them for this purpose!)
some mango
enough fruit juice to lubricate the whole thing (orange in this case)
a few scoops of plain yogurt
a few ice cubes
a couple of carrots (blender will be happier if you slice them first) or a beet or both

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I love the smoothies with Kaluha too, lol
    Thanks for reminding me of the smoothies, we'll be doing this for breakfast tomorrow .... and I may even sneak in a veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the kahlua smoothie with ice cream? Heaven. There's also the "banana mamma" with a banana, rum, ice cream and ice. Mmmmmm.
    I just realized that my bananas are looking a little spotty. Time for a big batch of the healthy stuff. (I'll save the alcohol for a little later in the day :)

    ReplyDelete