Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mama Earth Organics


We've been working on eating more organic foods. At first, we just switched the greens, apples, oranges, and bananas. Then we moved onto dairy, now we're on board with flour, rice, beans, nuts, and pretty much everything else. I've been ordering a lovely little organic fruit and veg basket that arrives on our doorstep every Tuesday, but have still done the bulk of my shopping at Loblaws.

I've been feeling good about buying organics now that the initial sticker shock has passed, but I wondered if it was possible to have more access to locally sourced products than I could find at the grocery store. When I finally spent some time browsing the selection at my online organic store Mama Earth Organics, I was excited to find it's possible to find local flours (rye, wheat, spelt), beans, and even popcorn. I realized there was a better selection of local stuff available through this service than at the grocery store. And the prices are on par - sometimes cheaper.

So, we're taking a leap away from the grocery store and are going to start ordering most of our stuff from Mama Earth. One reason is we like the produce we're already getting. Another is the convenience. There's also the lack of temptation to buy shiny packages of crap. But mostly it's because we trust them to source their products as locally as possible. I don't have time to drive to Grey Country every week, so I'm happy to let Mama Earth do the work for me.

Can't wait til Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment