Friday, April 9, 2010

The seeds you sow


Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you sow.
- Robert Louis Stevenson

I'm sure that if I took a moment to think about it, I could extract a meaningful life lesson from this quote. Today I prefer to take it at face value. That way I can judge these last few weeks as very successful since the seeds I've sown are sprouting.

This week I added lettuce, melons, beets, zucchini, and dill to my herd of tomatoes and herbs. My tomatoes are coming up beautifully, especially my funky Rainbow Blend and the early ripening Stupice.

Before I start peeing myself with excitement over my hypothetical harvest, I suppose I must remind myself about last year. Last year I purchased five huge pots of the most gigantic, healthy and unfailable cherry tomato plants at the garden center. Within weeks I had killed them all. I think we got about three tiny tomatoes for the bargain price of about $40. This year I'm hoping for a slightly better ratio.

But I suppose if I heed Robert Louis Stevenson, the harvest doesn't really matter.

Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment