Sunday, April 4, 2010

Urban Garden



I don't have much of a garden. It's more of a postage stamp with partial sun. My gardening attempts have never amounted to much, and I blame it on only partial sun and my watering neglect. I figure I need somewhere sunny to plant, and someone to help me keep up with watering. An arrangement has been brokered with my parents to make use of part of their expansive suburban backyard, apply my dad's vigilance with the garden hose, and share the harvest (assuming there actually IS one).

Today was a glorious early Easter Sunday. We had one of the best family days in my recent memory, even thought it included digging up a 12x13 foot patch of lawn, getting blisters, and aching muscles. The great parts were heat and sunshine, camaraderie, worm hunting, listening to my son boast that he's "digging just like Daddy", and watching my daughter pretend to be a pig rolling around in the dirt.

Ahhh.

4 comments:

  1. I can recommend the Can Tire seed starter kit thing with the little expandable seed cocoons. We planted our seeds last Friday and they have already sprouted and some already a couple of inches high. This is far more successful than my little dirt containers I home made in previous years. We already have corn, broccoli, carrots and leek seedlings! Well worth the few dollars since I think you end up with a higher yield of seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you say that. I started my tomatoes, green onions, and various herbs in those pellets and also have sprouts. The pellet packs still look pretty small so I was worried that they wouldn't be big enough, but hopefully they are. Do you use a grow light or just keep them in a sunny window?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just keep them on the dinning table for now, but will move them next to a window during the day when they have all sprouted leaves. The other thing to know about sowing seeds is to stagger them so you spread your harvest over time rather than everything being ready at the same time and getting a sudden over supply of everything.

    ReplyDelete