Friday, June 4, 2010

Ups and downs of the urban garden


Here is my first tomato of the season. I guess my research paid off. This is a Stupice tomato, an heirloom variety from the Czech Republic that is supposed to be the earliest maturing tomato. Go figure, it really is. Hopefully this bodes well for the ones that are supposed to be the most sweet and delicious. I'll let you know if they also live up to their reputations! If you ever wondered where you find the details of seed varieties, you can peruse the seed catalogue from local, organic Terra Edibles.

In the "news-of-the-weird" category, I must also report the bizarre basil theft that occurred on my porch. It was a plump and aromatic plant purchased for the bank breaking price of $1.99 (at the convenience store at the bottom of the street to supplement my somewhat wimpy home seeded plants). It was neatly dug up, and the less robust plants were left behind. Racoons? Squirrels? I think not. Apparently there is a neighbourhood plant thief on the loose. Last year my next door neighbour had two shrubs go missing, down the street I saw a sign from someone lamenting the overnight disappearance of a favorite perennial. Weeeeeird. Where does one plant their stolen treasures? If you love basil so much, why don't you just spend the $1.99? Ahh, what's an urban garden without a little mystery?

1 comment:

  1. Bravo Hilary! I too have started my first ever vegetable garden - a mix of organic tomato plants and non-organic. we'll see which taste better and which have better yield! nice to see you back in the blogosphere. love the popscicle holders ;)
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete