Monday, February 15, 2010

Guilt Free Valentine


This weekend, when I came downstairs I found a shiny foil paper trail leading me to my chocolate smeared children. We needed a junk food antidote; we would bake healthy Valentines muffins instead of the sugar cookies I was planning.

We made mini muffins and decorated them with icing hearts. Other than the icing, they were Healthy (note the capital H). My kids proclaimed them yummy, and ate 4 each. The success ended quickly as my daughter decided that the blueberries looked black and she didn’t want to eat black food. And then she reminded my son that he’s scared of the dark, and dark is black so he should be scared of the blueberries. But still, about a week’s worth of goodness had already been consumed by then, so I consider it a success. And I got to eat the rest, so it works for me. In fact, I was scarfing down the last muffin when I had to stop myself to take its picture (it’s actually only half a muffin, that’s why I had to hold it up)

This is my recipe. As with anything I cook, the measurements tend to be inexact, but they’re muffins, so you can pretty much put in anything you want.

1 ½ c Whole wheat flour

½ c Wheat bran

¼ c Flax seeds (whole seeds)

¼ c Wheat germ

¼ c oats

½ tsp Baking powder

½ tsp Baking soda

½ tsp Cinnamon

¼ tsp Nutmeg

½ c White Sugar (a bit more if you’d like a sweet muffin, mine were not super sweet)

¼ tsp Salt

1 Egg

1 cup Milk

3 tbsp Oil

½ c Grated carrots

2 Grated apples

handful of Blueberries (unless you’re scared of the dark)

handful of walnuts

Mix the wet stuff together in one bowl. Mix the dry stuff together in another bowl. Mix it all together. Bake at 350 for about 15 mins. Once cooled, try to shove muffins down the throats of your loved ones and eat the rest yourself.

Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. I was kind of surprised to see white sugar in your ingredient list! I've been having battles with sugar this year because I've noticed that it really makes me feel like CRAP. It's worse than PMS but tastes so good. But at home I never use it. At first it was because I was baking for a vegan friend and read that regular sugar was not actually vegan (!) and then because of the crap feeling. I tried to find an article for you but just came out with this: http://www.veghealthguide.com/sugar-sweeteners/ That said, I made a batch of (organic) sugar cookies for V.day and ate all of them myself! I told you it was a battle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend just recommended agave nectar, and actually I made a test batch last night with only about 1/8c white sugar and about 1/4c (give or take) agave nectar. It was good...pretty sweet given the lack of sugar. Next time I will try with only the agave nectar (I found it at the health food store and it's a syrup)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also heard you can substitute sugar with apple sauce....not sure how that affects the overall consistency with the wet and dry ratios of stuff, but an unsweetened apple sauce might be better than white sugar.....haven't tried yet though.

    ReplyDelete