Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wine and Butterflies


The "stay-cation" was great. We smell like chlorine, look like prunes, and have watched enough Treehouse to make up for all our cable-free living thus far. Great Wolf Lodge is everything I expected, the good and the bad. Certainly not the place for peace and quiet, but we managed to find that when we visited the Butterfly Conservatory. In my humble opinion it is an excellent antidote to the cheese of Niagara Falls. Very peaceful, well maintained, informative -heaven for geeks like me and my daughter. Husband and son were slightly glazed. After watching the required video introduction, my daughter suggested that we plant a butterfly garden this summer. I added it to my "to-do" list. Any gardeners out there with suggestions beyond "butterfly bush"? I guess I'll have to add "research butterfly garden" to the list as well.

Malivoire winery, definitely worth checking it out. Our "guide" explained all about their growing practices (all pesticide free, and quite alot of certified organic) and those of other Niagara wineries that are into sustainability. He suggested we check out Southbrook vineyards where they are using biodynamic farming (some sort of holistic farming method that "goes beyond organic"). That's for our next trip. As you can imagine, one wine tasting stop was one too many for kids all pumped up about heading to a waterpark. Anyway, all in all, we made it home with a case of local, pesticide free, and certified organic wines. Okay, a case minus a few bottles...

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, We were married at Southbrook Farms (Bathurst and Major Mac). Unfortunately they sold out, the land was cleared, and presto subdivision heaven! They (as far as I know) have a huge amazing farm across the street.-AM
    As for deodrant -can't reccomend just one!! None work that great:(
    I just use all the one I have

    ReplyDelete