Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Veg meal, Veg brain

I cracked my head today, hard. Since then I've been in a bit of a confused fog. I'm having trouble finding my words today. But I did the veggie thing for real today. I made the following veggie meal. It's cheap and healthy and it tastes okay (like pretty much everything, it's tastier if you add hot sauce). Best part is that it's easy enough to cook while suffering from mild concussion.

It's apparently a variation of something called "Louvia me Lehana". Not sure the origins.

3 cups dried black-eyed peas
water
2 onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh dill, chopped
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt

Soak the peas overnight(if not using canned ones). Rinse and then boil them in a pot for 45 minutes. Drain them.
In another pot put the olive oil and the onion. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic, the tomatoes, the tomato paste, the parsley and the dill. Let them cook in medium heat for 30 minutes. Add some salt.
Add the peas to the sauce, mix and cook in low heat for 15 minutes. Serve with pita.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious...kind of like baked beans! I think mixing in some honey mustard would be good...I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, honey mustard...never thought of that! Yum.
    I ended up using a hand blender to turn our leftovers into a hummus-like dip, but needed to add some more salt, cumin and a bit of hot sauce to make it tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went though a dried legume thing a while ago and bought lots of different dried legume things, which look nice in clear glass containers in the kitchen. I still have them since I don't have many recipe ideas - I am pretty sure black eye peas are there somewhere, fianlly a use for the pretty bean things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the end, this tasted much better as a dip. I blended it up and brought it to work with hummus. While we all agreed it was missing something (maybe tahini or olive oil) to make it a bit heavier, it disappeared very quickly. I've got a new recipe for baked falafel too --it was way better, and will help you get through your dried chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete