Friday, January 29, 2010

Stay-cation


I can't complain. It's been an easy winter, a great year to not be going away. But I can't say it wouldn't be nice to splash about in a warm, sunny locale right about now. Easy winter or not, the fact remains that it's -14 outside tonight.

I really only have one vacation requirement - good swimming. It's pretty easy to plan a holiday in Canada that meets this requirement in the summer, but winter is a whole different kettle of fish. My kids are still too small to skate, ski, dogsled, snowshoe, go tubing or any other such activity that we use to convince ourselves that freezing is fun. When you can't do these things during your winter vacation, really, what's left? This year we were thinking about going to Florida or maybe Mexico, but didn't want to go for a whole week, didn't really want to fly. In the end we opted for what we hope is a good compromise. A stay-cation with a big dollop of something that seems alot like Disney. Great Wolf Lodge - it's a resort chain. Mostly in the States. Isn't somewhere I'd have dreamed I'd ever be looking forward to going, but I am. It's close. There's waterslides, hot tubs, splash parks. Inside, heated. Not quite the real thing. Not exactly a natural experience, but hey, that's compromise, right?

I want to thank Nicole for her heads up about the Malivoire winery in Beamsville (further research also yielded Frogpond organic winery in Niagara-on-the-Lake). I think we can make it a slightly eco-experience with a stop or two the way to stock up on "almost organic" wine in case the going gets rough at the waterpark!

2 comments:

  1. Hey...on a different note, sniff, sniff....you have inspired me to do something I have wanted to do for some time. I have always wanted to use only "natural deodorant" both the crystal and the stick. I have gone 8 days now and I am feeling better. Better that I am avoiding Alzheimers, better that I am not using chemicals and fake smells, feeling better that my nursing baby won't get a wiff of toxins every time she feeds. However I do find I need to reaply.....often. Don't get too close after 5pm, sorry hubby. Great blog H, I am enjoying-AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey AM - awesome! Do you have a brand to recommend? I tried Tom's of Maine and found it slimy and Burt's Bees spray and found myself VERY stinky. I keep falling back to the aluminum, but I need to try again! I'm trying to stretch it out to only every other day with the traditional antiperspirant, but would like to replace it with something that works reasonably well.

    ReplyDelete