Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It's EVERYWHERE!


Labeling is important. Not just because people might forget to turn off the tap, but because it's really nice to be able to make informed decisions. I'm working on breaking out of my "ignorance is bliss" state. I've been washing my hands at work for about ten years now (minus mat leaves, travel leaves and summer holidays). In those years, all I noticed about the soap was its pinkness and its tendency to solidify at the bottom of the dispenser. Today I had a sinking feeling when I noticed the caretakers had left the big refill jug on the counter. "Uh oh, what's it going to say....do I really want to know?" As expected- triclosan (see Jan. 21 post).

Tomorrow, I'm bringing in my own soap. However, I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't already considered eccentric, I soon will be. But it's going to be fair trade, organic, sodium lauryl sulphate and triclosan free. The brand is Tashodi, it's Canadian and not even expensive, though I found it in a bin at HomeSense.

Maybe people will think, hmm, crazy lady but nice soap, and eventually be motivated to make the switch too. Maybe not, but at least I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment