Friday, January 22, 2010

TGIF


It’s Friday. A stay home Friday. You might expect that a stay home Friday would be relaxing, but you would be wrong. I have a cold, my kids have colds, and we had 4 little girls over for lunch. Lovely kids, everyone had fun. I even walked the whole crowd of six to school in an organized manner. No one got hurt…well, no one except for my own daughter who hugged a tree too vigorously and split her lip. That began our day of minor injuries. A finger pinched in a drawer, a trip on the edge of the carpet, a fall out of a wagon, an overblown papercut. In fact, just moments ago my son slipped and fell as he was climbing out of the tub. Each incident insignificant, but each causing a new burst of tears and a big sigh from me. The whole is more tiring than the sum of its parts. So I need a drink, or two. It's organic. That makes it okay, right? But then I hear the inner voice ask "But isn't France a long way away?". Oh, right, so buy local. But there isn't any local organic. Which outweighs the other?
Decisions. Enough to drive me to drink. Uh oh, here we go again.


4 comments:

  1. Which outweighs the other? The future of the world requires sustainable GLOBAL development. We can't ignore the relative competitive advantages that nations have with each other. So to me developing sustainable organic agriculture far outweighs the environmental shipping costs. Especially since the wine was sent by boat and in a tetrapak. Let France do what they do best, make sustainable organic wine and I'll do what I do best, drink it! Lets just make sure we don't "spend" too much moving the goods around.

    fatty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hillary,

    i like Malivoire wine from Beamsville Ont about an hour away and working towards its organic designation which apparently takes about 5 years. Not quite officially organic but progess none the less!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Nicole!
    Thanks for letting me know. I will be giving it a try for sure (too bad I didn't read this about an hour ago, or I would have picked some up already---it IS Friday after all!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I was just looking at their website and since we're heading that direction this weekend, I think we should stop in and try some!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete