Sunday, March 14, 2010

Another one bites the dust


It's only been a week since we got rid of most of our processed foods. It's been easier than I thought. Especially since one of my exemptions was pancake mix. Like waffles, these bready discs are a mainstay at our weekend breakfast table. We add flax seeds, blueberries, bananas...whatever we're in the mood for. But apparently we also, without thinking about it, have been adding corn flour, soybean oil, sodium aluminum silicate, dextrose, and dried egg white (which apparently contains the same sodium lauryl sulphate as my toothpaste).
So, today we learned how to make pancakes and threw out the mix. Of course, I was so excited about my pancakes, I forgot about Daylight Savings Time. Oops.

For others like me, who forgot it was possible to make pancakes without a mix, here's how:
1 1/2 c Whole wheat flour
1 tbsp sugar (organic cane sugar seemed to work)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 c milk
2 tbsp oil

Mix wet ingredients in one bowl. Mix dry ingredients in another. Combine. Add any extras (blueberries, flax etc). Cook. Eat. I'm giving it a try to freeze a few extras and see if I can sub them in for the waffles. It will be a hard sell, but who knows.

2 comments:

  1. As I was taking out the recycling I had a aha (yet obvious to most) moment. I was realizing less processed food means less recycling in my blue bin. Huh, who would have thought!!
    Great side effect to simplicity!-AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! We've been using two medium bins because the large one doesn't fit through our gate...but I'd LOVE to get it down to one!

    ReplyDelete