Monday, March 22, 2010

Road Trip Success


Okay, let it be said avoiding fast food while on a road trip with kids is a massive undertaking. That's why I'm tickled pink that I managed to do it. We used the facilities, but didn't succumb to the timbits and cheeseburgers. I packed a huge bag of healthy snacks on the way, and used my friend's kitchen to restock my supplies on the way home. My air popped popcorn bags were snubbed, but the orange slices were golden. Carrot sticks were actually crunched, almonds were popped. The only complaint I heard about food was from my 2 year old. Apparently he was disappointed in the lack of hummus. There was the issue of the "alligator" crackers I bought in a moment of weakness. They didn't wreck our roadtrip goal though - luckily they got spilled all over the floor of the van.

Of course, the kids promptly proceeded to turn their noses at most of the healthy food they were served for the rest of the weekend.

An aside: We had a great brunch, browse, and wander in Wakefield, Que. It's definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. Chelsea too has lots of little local food treasures if you're lucky enough to have someone tell you where to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment