Thursday, March 25, 2010

Not just Coffee

I went shopping over March Break, and it was completely guilt free. I stumbled into a Fair Trade retail store and came out with as many shopping bags as Paris Hilton. Ten Thousand Villages is a Fair Trade Organization run by the Mennonite Central Committee (I guess there is no coincidence that I keep stumbling across Mennonites in this quest, they are a group that works hard for social justice and sustainability - see Fresh from the Farm, Feb 21). They ensure fair wages for artisans and farmers and work with local non-profit groups. So I supported a womens' cooperative in Burkina Faso by buying some Shea Butter soap, street kids in Vietnam with my pretty handbag, and Indian artisans with my funky silk scarf.

It's easy to shop responsibly when the products are this lovely.

2 comments:

  1. I am curious?
    What are some other options for ketchup??
    My daughter won't eat anything unless it is covered in the stuff....any thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently bought some organic ketchup, but on closer inspection, it is exactly the same as regular ketchup (but made with organic ingredients) but actually has more sodium.
    If you're feeling adventurous, you could always make your own - that way you can play around with it to reduce the amount of salt and sugar...? There are quite a number of recipes on the net, I liked the simplicity of this one:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Homemade-Ketchup-109037

    ReplyDelete