Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Sprout of Fancy


My next step is pretty exciting for me. I've always been head over heels with the idea of growing food, but the sad truth of the matter is that I have a very dark black thumb. All my houseplants are cacti, since they're the only ones I haven't succeeded in neglecting to death. So the concept of growing food that doesn't require soil, weeding, watering, etc, is very appealing. Starting today, I'm growing my own "crunchy lentil sprout mix". I bought a little organic sprout starter kit with the best of intentions about a year ago. I found it in the cupboard today and thought, I can do this! You just put them in water overnight and then drain them and rinse them every day. Should be ready to eat in 3-4 days. This meets my need for instant gratification in a way that actual gardening simply can't do.
I'll let you know what happens in 3-4 days.

2 comments:

  1. After watching the oscars I am curious to watch Food Inc. a documentary about food production in the US. and want to watch it but I don't. I am scared....

    On an up note I threw out my non stick fry pan and replaced it with a non toxic one. One step....

    Wanted to recommend "Living simply with children" worth a read.

    Oh and I am still on my natural deodorant kick and quite liking it!!-AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, you've got to see Food Inc! I also have been avoiding it, but since I asked my class to watch it, I thought I'd better watch it too. It's full of stuff you already know, but don't like to think about. I've taken some steps since then, but the stomach flu is preventing me from writing much about them yet...stay tuned. I'm going back to bed.
    Thanks for the book tip too!

    ReplyDelete